The re-establishment of the nation of Israel is one of the biggest and most evident. The prophet Isaiah called it an “ensign to the nations”. I have spent little time on it even though there are an abundance of prophesies signaling this event as a last days signpost. The prophets Joel and Zachariah declare it is the main argument God uses to judge the nations and that Jerusalem will be a “heavy stone’ and burdensome weight to the world. But, there are many more signs to examine.
- False Bible teachers would be money hungry. They would be smooth talkers, have many followers, and slur the Christian faith (2 Peter 2:1-3). Many will claim to be Christian but their goal is to ‘ make merchandise’ of those who follow them. Some will deny Jesus as the Son of God substituting themselves or some other god. A few of these are listed on the web site (fakemessiah.com).
- Homosexuality would be increasingly evident at the end of the age (Romans 1:24-28 and 2 Timothy 3:3). Sadly, the Church is gradually caving in to the pressure of ‘political correctness’ and acknowledging homosexuality as a viable lifestyle. The latest church to affirm homosexuals and transgenderism is The Disciples of Christ (prophecynewswatch.com/2013/July24/246.html). In 2008 the Democratic Party has voted in a new party platform accepting them. In May, President Barack Obama publicly endorsed same-sex marriage one day after North Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment protecting traditional marriage. This makes all who vote Democrat in direct opposition to God, who condemns this lifestyle.
- Earthquakes would be in diverse places (Matthew 24:7). Only the illiterate would not realize the increase of devastating earthquakes around the world. One energy researcher writes:”Earthquakes and volcanic activity have increased worldwide. In 2013 10 major volcanoes along the ring of fire become active. The USGS has been strangely silent about this . At the same time land and underwater volcanoes on the planet are awakening up in record numbers. Unrest is growing among world’s supervolcanoes like Yellowstone and Long Valley calderas in the U.S, Laguna del Maule in Chile, Santorini in Greece, Campi Flegrei in Italy. Almost all of the world’s active supervolcanoes are now exhibiting clear sign of inflation which is an indication that an eruption will take place in the near future.”
- Stress would be part of living as the Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy:
“But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:” (2 Timothy 3:1) (perilous means hard to bear, troublesome, dangerous, harsh, fierce, savage)
- Many wars would erupt (Matthew 24:6). This includes country against country and ethnic group against ethnic group. In other words, the rise in racial tensions is being predicted.
- People would forsake the Ten Commandments as a moral code, committing adultery, stealing, lying, and killing:“And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.” – Matthew 24:12 The phrase lawlessness refers to the Ten Commandments, which are God’s law for human relationships. They are also the definition for true love because God is love! A whole paper could be written on this alone; social, religious, governmental lawlessness.
- There would be a cold religious system, in denying God’s power. Men will have a “form of godliness but deny its power. From such people turn away! (2 Timothy 3:5). They will claim they are Christian but will try to solve mankind’s problems with logic and science. They deny the true power of godliness.The power of godliness can make the economic system work for all, it can mend families making them whole, it can end the racial conflict between races, it can replace brutality with justice and mercy, and it can restore society to a stable foundation. The true power behind godliness is the Holy Spirit not religion.
I have listed here the first seven signposts of the Lord’s return. In the following posts, I will begin enumerating the remainder. You may also think of these signposts but, it is not enough to just discover them, we must do something to change them and the best place to start is with ourselves. The very best preparation for what is coming is to be personally in harmony with our Creator and His eternal laws.