I will continue with signs of the Lord’s soon return.
Sign 4: Stress would be part of living. Jesus predicted “men’s hearts would be failing them for fear” (Lk. 21:26) and there is no denying the spirit of fear that has been released on the world and our country! Stress is a factor in modern day life and is causing many sicknesses. As the Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy:
“But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:” (perilous means hard to bear, troublesome, dangerous, harsh, fierce, savage) – 2 Tim. 3:1
Loss of employment due to Covid restrictions, rampant inflation making cost of basic items skyrocket, Government becoming more Communistic, schools teaching Critical Race Theory and subverting parental authority over their children, threats of more ‘lockdowns’ coming, rise in criminal activity, invasion on our Southern Border, fear of more Covid19 outbreaks or fear about war with Russia, are all contributing to the rise of stress felt by the citizen. It is times like these that Paul was warning Timothy of.
The answer is “turn to Jesus and the word of God for comfort and answers”!
“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
Paul wrote to the Philippians,
“Be anxious (fearful) for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Phil. 4:6-7
Sign 5: Many wars would erupt. This includes country against country and ethnic group against ethnic group. In other words, the rise in racial tensions is being predicted.
“And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, . . .” – Matt. 24:6-7
Current Conflicts in the World Today and Their Effects on Global Hunger. And this says nothing about the continuing conflict caused by Iran and its terrorist sponsored groups.
- 1) Ukraine. The war in Ukraine is the latest conflict to erupt. It has caused over a million refugees to flee the country and created a new hotspot that will have ramifications for the entire world.
- 2) Afghanistan. This recent upheaval has thrown the lives of Afghan families into turmoil and uncertainty yet again. Decades of conflict — combined with the impacts of climate change, gender inequality, economic instability and the COVID-19 pandemic — have caused deep hunger and suffering for Afghan communities across the country.
- 3) Ethiopia. The conflicts have exacted a devastating toll on civilians. Communities are continuously caught in the middle — killed, displaced and pushed into starvation as conflict blocks aid and cuts off communication.
- 4) South Sudan. More than 7 million people — 60 percent of the entire population — still doesn’t know where their next meal will come from.
- 5) Syria. Some 12.4 million people — almost 60 percent of the population — are hungry and don’t know where their next meal will come from. This is a 57 percent increase since 2019 and the highest number ever recorded in the history of Syria.
- 6) Yemen. Now, nearly a decade of war has left thousands dead, and more than 4 million people displaced. Fighting between government coalition forces and Houthi rebels in the country continues to harm and displace Yemeni families.
Sign 6: People would forsake the Ten Commandments as a moral code. Jesus said “committing adultery, stealing, lying, and killing: and because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.” – Matthew 24:12 The phrase lawlessness refers to the Ten Commandments, which are God’s law for human relationships. They are also the definition for true love because God is love! A whole paper could be written on this alone; social, religious, governmental lawlessness. In 1980 the Supreme Court ruled that the 10 Commandments could not be displayed in schools and it has been a downward slide ever since!
Ever since then, lawlessness has been on the increase in our country, until now it threatens the very fabric of society – the family. We need to see lawlessness as an evil spirit that has been released on us because of our wicked choices. It is preparing the way for the Antichrist! Paul wrote –
“The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” – 2 Thes. 2:9-12
Lawlessness is like a deadly virus and the vaccine we need to counter it is Truth! If we continue rejecting the truth of God’s Word then He will give us a strong delusion so that we will not be able to believe the truth! I cannot think of a more serious condition and I think many are very close to that happening right now.
I will continue with further signs in the next article.